When it comes to selling your car, there are several ways you can now do so – fully or partly online – in the UK.
Almost out of nowhere, four popular platforms offering car-selling services in the UK have appeared: Motorway, Carwow, webuyanycar and Cazoo.
In this article, I will compare these four car-selling websites to help you make a decision of which one to use, when selling your vehicle (car, bike, or van, etc). So let’s dive into the key aspects of each platform and see how they stack up against each other:
Table of Contents
|Platform||Convenience||Valuation & Pricing||Fees & Costs||Speed of Sale|
|🚗 Motorway||Easy, they collect, sale takes 1-3 days||Generally higher valuations. Based on offers from network of dealers. No/limited haggling.||No fees for sellers. Dealers are charged a fee.||Fairy quick selling experience.|
|🚗 Carwow||Easy, they collect, sale takes 1-3 days||Average valuations. Based on offers from network of dealers. No/limited haggling.||No fees for sellers. Dealers are charged a fee.||Fairy quick selling experience.|
|🚗 webuyanycar||Fairly easy, sale takes ~1 day||Mixed valuations – some high, some low. Uses own valuation system. Some haggling.||£49 – £79 admin fee.||Fast sale process. Option to complete sale on the same day.|
|🚗 Cazoo||Fairly easy, takes 1-3 days||Average valuations. Uses own valuation system. No haggling.||No fees for sellers – * optional collection fee.||Fast and efficient sale process, free if you drop car off, fast payment.|
- Motorway: Motorway sells vehicles, so it aims to provide a hassle-free selling experience. You will need to enter your car’s information, receiving offers from their network of verified dealers within a day or so, and selecting the best offer that suits your requirements.
- Carwow: Carwow directly connects people with dealerships. While they used to focus on only car buying, they now also offer a car selling service. Their selling process involves submitting your car details and receiving offers from their network of dealerships. You have the option to accept or decline the offers.
- webuyanycar: webuyanycar is a well-known car buying service that offers a quick and straightforward selling process. Unlike the others, you will need to book an appointment at one of their branches, have your car inspected, and receive an offer on the spot. If you accept the offer, they will handle the paperwork and arrange payment immediately.
- Cazoo: Cazoo offers a convenient online platform where you can easily sell your car without the need for face-to-face appointments. They provide a nice, streamlined process designed to be user-friendly and efficient. However, they do charge a £149 admin fee if you cannot drop your vehicle off and want them to collect it. And there aren’t many drop-off centres around the UK yet (only 7).
tldr; Carwow and Motorway are the most convenient as there’s no drop-off.
Valuation & Prices:
- Motorway: Motorway provides a valuation based on their network of verified dealers (similar to Carwow). Valuations are generally higher with Motorway.
- Carwow: Carwow’s valuations are based on offers from their network of dealerships. Valuations are generally average with Carwow.
- webuyanycar: webuyanycar uses their own valuation system to determine the price they are willing to pay for your vehicle. The valuation is based on factors such as make, model, condition, mileage, and market demand – unlike with the other two, you get to meet the valuer (whether that’s a good thing or not!). The valuations are higher with webuyanycar (surprisingly!).
- Cazoo: Cazoo determines the value of your car based on market conditions and their own pricing algorithms. They strive to offer competitive prices and provide transparent valuations to ensure you receive a fair deal. They guarantee that there is no “price haggling” and their valuations are average.
tldr; Motorway usually give the highest valuations. Webuyanycar haggle but Cazoo do not.
Fees & Costs:
- Motorway: Motorway does not charge a fee for their service. The fee structure charged to dealers will vary depending on the value of your car. As a result you may get a higher offer, so factor that into the overall amount.
- Carwow: Carwow does not charge any fees to sellers. However, keep in mind that the offer you receive may be lower than your expectations – this is because Carwow charges a fee to dealers, so they will factor that cost into any offers you receive.
- webuyanycar: webuyanycar does charge fees for their service if you sell to them. They charge a transaction fee of £49 to £79, dependong on the vehicle value. The offer you receive is the amount you will be paid, minus any outstanding finance or additional services you opt for. This is because they re-sell your car through their own extensive network, and make a profit that way.
- Cazoo: Cazoo does not charge any fees to sellers. The offer you receive is the amount you will be paid, without any deductions or hidden charges. Like with webuyanycar, this is because they will re-sell your car through their website and make a profit there instead.
tldr; webuyanycar charge a ‘transaction fee’ if you sell to them, of £49 – £79. Motorway does not.
Speed of Sale:
- Motorway: The selling process through Motorway means that your car will go to their dealer auction and be sold within 1-3 days.
- Carwow: Like with Motorway, the selling process through Carwow means that your car will go to their dealer auction and be sold within 1-3 days.
- webuyanycar: webuyanycar offers a fast sale process, with the option to book an appointment and complete the sale on the same day. They emphasise quick transactions and instant payment.
- Cazoo: Cazoo aims to provide a fast-selling experience too, often same-day. Once you accept their offer and complete the necessary paperwork, they will arrange for collection at a convenient time for you.
tldr; webuyanycar and Cazoo are generally the fastest to pay (same day) – but you will need to book an appointment or pay the collection/admin fee.
- Motorway: Will collect from your home for free.
- Carwow: Will collect from your home for free.
- webuyanycar: They do not collect, you need to take into one of their branches, of which there are many.
- Cazoo: They can collect, but it costs £149, and they don’t collect cars worth more than £25,000 now. You can always take your car into a Cazoo drop-off centre for free.
So which one is right for me?
The best way to find out if to use the automated wizard at CarMonkey.co.uk – our sister site that’ll instantly compare valuations for your vehicle.
I know it can be a bit confusing, so here are some common questions you might have, based on your own situation:
I want to get the highest amount for my car. Which platform should I choose?
If your goal is to maximise the amount you receive for your car, either Motorway or webuyanycar are the best options. Motorway is generally the best consistently, but Webuyanycar can offer more than you might think.
Motorway connect you with a network of dealers who can provide competitive offers, giving you the opportunity to negotiate and secure the best price. You will need to wait a bit longer, though, as the quotes from dealers can take up to a week to arrive. – though, usually, most quotes are received within 1 working day.
Webuyanycar have got a lot of stick over the years but we found that their valuations are higher than Cazoo’s, typically.
I need to sell my car quickly. Which platform is the best choice?
If speed of payment is your main concern, platforms like webuyanycar and Cazoo offer generlally the faster sale processes. webuyanycar allows you to book an appointment, have your car inspected, and receive an offer on the same day. Cazoo is similar, as it provides a quick and efficient selling experience with free collection and payment, and they claim to not haggle.
- So, for a higher price = use Motorway (or Carwow)
- For faster sale/payment = use webuyanycar (or Cazoo)
How can I ensure a transparent and fair valuation for my car?
Platforms like Motorway and Carwow prioritise transparency and provide valuations based on their network of verified dealers: they aim to offer competitive prices and provide you with clear information throughout the process, helping you make an informed decision.
Are there any fees involved in selling my car through these platforms?
If you are a seller, you will never be charged a fee by Motorway or Carwow. You may be charged a fee by Webuyanycar and Cazoo.
But remember that if the dealer is being charged the fee, they will include their fee in the quotation they send you, so it’s swing and roundabouts. In the above list, both Motorway.co.uk and Carwow charge fees to the dealer.
Can I sell vehicles other than cars through these platforms?
Yes, most of these platforms, including Motorway, Carwow and webuyanycar, allow you to sell various types of vehicles, such as motorbikes, trucks, 4x4s, caravans, vans, and motorhomes. They offer services tailored to different vehicle categories, providing options for a wider range of sellers. Note tha Cazoo is a bit more picky – it doesn’t buy vehicles older than 15 years, and doesn’t appear to buy vans either any more .
My car has finance outstanding, does it matter?
No. All of the above websites will buy vehicles with outstanding finance. Just make sure you mention it when asked.
Do I need to write a sales pitch/advert?
No. All of the above websites will handle this for you; the only thing you will need to do is describe the condition of your vehicle to them, and send them some photos. Remember you must be accurate in your description.
Will Motorway/Cazoo haggle on the price?
Yes and no. The valuation you get on their website *should* be the amount you receive but there are reports of dealers offering lower prices once they inspect the car. Any haggling will be from the dealer, not the company itself. If you’re concerned about haggling, then Cazoo appears to be the safest bet – if you’re happy to receive, on average, a lower amount.
So what are the downsides of each?
- Motorway: Once the sale is over, you will need to liaise with the buying dealer directly. Can take 1-3 days to sell your car.
- Carwow: Once the sale is over, you will need to liaise with the buying dealer directly. Can take 1-3 days to sell your car.
- webuyanycar: You sell your car to them directly, but they may try to haggle on price. Once it’s sold, it’s sold.
- Cazoo: Unlike webuyanycar, Cazoo promise not to haggle on price if it’s accurately described. The downside is that there are only 7 Cazoo drop-off centres in the UK.
Check out Car Monkey, our sister website, to compare FREE valuations from these companies and more.